ABOUT THIS EVENT
Business & Technology
About This Workshop
Python is a versatile and widely-used programming language with many applications. This workshop explores Python's place in the scientific ecosystem, and how the language, with several readily-available open-source libraries, can serve as a powerful tool for data analysis. Designed as a stand-alone introduction to the data science aspects of Python, this class is also a recommended refresher for students planning to enroll in General Assembly's upcoming Data Science course. The course is hands-on and exercise based, so students will get plenty of practice.
- Ability to write and run Python scripts
- Ability to use Python for basic data analysis tasks (data cleaning and reformatting, exploration, analysis)
- Understanding of Python’s role as a tool in the backend and analysis toolkits
- Understanding of the possibilities opened up through a better understanding of Python
Prereqs & Preparation
- General technical savvy, and comfort with computers
- Some prior experience with use of computers for analysis or repetitive tasks – such as Excel
- Installation of Anaconda for Python 3.6, which is a free distribution of python that includes libraries of open source python tools (http://continuum.io/downloads). Download prior to class
About the Instructor
Ivan Hernandez Instructor,
Dr. Ivan Hernandez is a researcher and educator with a passion for teaching others how to use statistical and computational techniques to answer questions about complex social phenomenon. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a Ph.D in Social & Industrial Psychology, and a Master's degree in Applied Measurement. Ivan's research incorporates machine learning, text mining, agent-based modeling, numeric simulations, and spatial analysis to study phenomenon pertaining to organizational, cultural, regional, and cognitive outcomes, authoring numerous peer-reviewed publications and book chapters. He has over 5 years of teaching experience, instructing undergraduate courses at the University of Illinois, and managing the NASA Data Science Internship at Northwestern University. When not teaching or conducting research, he enjoys going to farmers' markets, drive-in theaters, custard shops, and enjoying all the other wonderful things the Midwest offers.
All ages welcomeCancellation Policy
There are currently no upcoming dates scheduled for this Dabble. Log in to an account message the host or add to your bucket list to be automatically notified when new dates are posted.
MORE ABOUT YOUR HOST
General Assembly is a pioneer in education and career transformation, specializing in today’s most in-demand skills. The leading source for training, staffing, and career transitions, we foster a flourishing community of professionals pursuing careers they love.