ABOUT THIS EVENT
Food & Drink
This 6 hour hands on sourdough intensive will focus on gaining an in depth understanding of basic sourdough technique and theory. Class is limited to 8 students.
IN THIS CLASS WE WILL COVER:
- What exactly is a sourdough starter?
- How to maintain your sourdough starter
- Sourdough master recipe and how to adapt it for endless variations
- The process of creating a sourdough loaf from start to finish
- How to make a rustic boule (round loaf) from start to finish
- How to adapt your dough to fit your schedule
- Incorporating whole grains
- How to create tension when shaping
- Baking methods
- How to use your sourdough discard
YOUR TICKET INCLUDES
- A 6 hour hands on class
- All learning materials with detailed notes to take home with you
- A pot of sourdough starter of your own
- Coffee and a sourdough toast bar to start the class
- A lunch made during class of sourdough pizza
- A loaf of bread that you shaped and baked during class
- A dough that you made during class that is not fully fermented for you to take and bake at home
- A banneton basket for you to proof your shaped dough in
Class will start with coffee and a toast bar that includes a variety of sourdough breads and a spread of accompaniments.
Once introductions have concluded, we will review the basics of what sourdough is and you will receive your own pot of sourdough starter for you to bake with during class and take home to use in all future baking.
We will review the basic sourdough formula and you will learn how to adapt the formula to make endless variations of sourdough bread. Each student will be guided in making their own recipe for their sourdough to mix during class.
After our dough are mixed, you will be given a dough that is ready to be shaped. I'll demonstrate shaping techniques to build tension in your dough to ensure a tall loaf. We will shape our loaves together and let them proof to bake later in class.
We will then learn how to feed and maintain our starters. I will review how to keep your starter healthy, how to troubleshoot, and how to keep your starter refrigerated if you will not bake with it often.
Next, we will prepare a delicious lunch together of sourdough pizza with a variety of topping offerings.
After lunch, we will score and bake our risen loaves. Each student will take home their baked loaf from class as well as the dough they made during class to bake at home later.
The class will conclude with plenty of time for questions. Each student will walk away with bread, a sourdough starter, a banneton basket, some sourdough discard treats we baked during class, and the confidence and knowledge to continue their sourdough journey at home!
All ingredients and equipment.
Custom Cancellation Policy
No cancelations after tickets are purchased. If you have an extenuating circumstance, please email BakerBettie@gmail.com.
There are currently no upcoming dates scheduled for this Dabble. Log in to an account message the host or add to your bucket list to be automatically notified when new dates are posted.
MORE ABOUT YOUR HOST
Kristin "Baker Bettie" Hoffman is a trained chef, baking science geek, and the baking instructor here at BakerBettie.com. Kristin's approach to baking is to teach foundational recipes, baking techniques, and approachable baking science. Her belief is that gaining an understanding of the processes and the "whys" in baking helps foster confidence in the kitchen.