ABOUT THIS EVENT
Fitness & Wellness
An enjoyable, warm way to leave the house, use your mind, meet others, and experience new yet familiar. A day of crafts and discussion, solitude and community, gently and creatively facilitated by Mac & Cheese Productions℠.
Events -- The Worst, Amiright?!
- Does not knowing what type of people will be at an event cause you concern? Do you fret that it’ll be filled with folks not your cup of tea and that you’ll end up wishing you had stayed home?
- Are you afraid everyone will know someone and you’ll know no one?
- Have you sat in your car outside an event, pep-talking yourself to go in?
- When you arrive, are you already thinking about the sweet relief of leaving?
- Do you fear the awkward handshake?
- Do you loathe “What do you do?” chit-chat?
- When someone forces a business card in your palm, do you stare at it and wonder “What am I going to do with this and why do I want it?"
- Do you feel you have to be someone you’re not?
- Have you hidden in the bathroom?
- Are you mistaken for bored or not paying attention when in fact you’re listening and absorbing?
- Are you mistaken for unfriendly, shy, socially awkward, or cold? Did you take that 5 minute walk by yourself during the conference break because you wanted a bit o' quiet, not because you hate people?
- Do you appreciate a host/facilitator who provides direction and structure and who realizes that silence and breaks are important parts of the direction and structure?
- Do you stress out at the end of an event at the number of people to whom you have to say goodbye when you’d much rather slip out without saying goodbye to anyone?
- Do you experience ridiculously intense feelings of joy when a calendar item is cancelled
- Do you sign up to receive updates about events or groups yet don’t participate until months/years later, if at all?
Do you yes above yet also see value in community, meeting others, new experiences, stretching yourself, comfortable challenge, and the occasional leaving of the armchair and Dog for a meaningful, low-key, down to earth event?
Then Introverts Playground is for you.
What to Expect
- Gentle and enjoyable forced participation
- Intentional breaks
- Inside voices
- Group silence
- No mingling. No meet and greets.
- Small groups. Of 2, 3, 4. Like actually small. Not 15, 23, 43.
- Learn, apply, reflect
- Intimate, controlled discussion with a purpose
- A room full of people doing their own thing
- Music. Video. Reading. Markers, scissors, glue-sticks.
- You can be yourself and just yourself — “Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” — Anne Lamott. Your task on the playground? Stand Sit there and shine.
Can you come if you're not an introvert?
Absolutely, welcome! But realize whom you're amongst and who this is for mainly. Adjust appropriately.
Meals are not provided. There will be a lunch break, during which you can partake in any of the diverse eateries in walking distance from Mac & Cheese. You will be gently forced to get a change of scenery.
What to Bring
- slippers, your favorite pen, your journal/special notebook if you’re a special notebook type of person (if you’re not, you can use the paper provided), food/drink for yourself if you’d like
All ages welcome
Handouts, craft supplies, AV material, coffee/tea, snack bars